Why is Integrated Library System Important
Integrated Library system is a computer based system used to manage internal and external resources of library. It works on various modules;
- Circulation module – This module we can check items in and out, and can track the location and status of library resources.
- Cataloguing module – It facilitates adding of material in the database.
- Acquisitions – It is responsible for selection and purchase of materials or resources for the library.
- Serials – It refer to the resources which are published continuously in the library. Types of serials available in a library are periodicals, journals and magazines.
- OPAC (Online Public Access Catalogue) – It is an online facility through which patrons can search for books and other items.
- Reports – Library management system also generates various types of reports to cross check the database.
Integrated Library System
It plays an important part in the searching of an item of a library. It is an advance software which enhances the functioning of a library. Integrated library system is also known as automated library system. An automated library system has changed the system of book keeping or bibliographic records from traditional to modern technology. The advantages of integrated library system are:
- Avoid duplication of work
- Library staff and patrons have access to all information at one place.
- Reduction in errors.
- It saves searching time.
- High scalability
- It is based on RFID library management system
- Helpful in resource sharing
Library Automation software is useful for all types of libraries whether small or big library. It provides centralized management and processes for various libraries.
An advance library management system is based on RFID based technology. RFID based library management system is a wireless system which is a very effective technique of Library software.
- Cost-effective and give high productivity
- Act as anti-theft equipment
- Increase revenue
- Reduce capital costs
- Improved quality of data capture
The demand for RFID technology for the library is increasing day by day due to the advancement of digital technology. RFID system is based on these tools.
- RFID Tag – These are the main component of the RFID system on which whole RFID is dependent as they are fixed at the back cover of every book available in the library. This tag consists of a chip and an antenna.
- RFID Reader – A reader examines the tags and enables data capture of the specific item. They provide a signal as they enter into contact with the tag.
- RFID Gate – RFID gate installed in the library act as an anti-theft by not letting the students take the book without issuing it.
- RFID label printer – It is used to print the labels for the books.
- Self Issuing Kiosk – This system provides the facility of self-issue of the book with the help of a wireless system installed in the whole library.
- Drop Box – Is the facility of returning a book in the dropbox held in the library.
Hence, the above points explain the importance of integrated library management system.