Why is library automation important?
Library Automation is used to automate the procedures of the library such as cataloging and circulation. It makes the work of the librarian easy.
The importance of Library Automation System is increasing day by day. Hereunder we discuss the importance of library automation in a library.
The main components of the automated library system are:
- Better access to the collection: One can access the collection easily with a systemized database.
- Save time: It saves time for the user as the database is automated.
- Easy maintenance: It provides the facility of easy maintenance.
- Provide report: Report can be generated in this system.
- Speed up searching: It improves the searching process by advance searching option.
- Better interface with the library users: It provides a better interface to the users.
- It provides integrated information
Digital library software is based on two types of technologies; one is the bar code system and an RFID system. The bar code system is based upon the bar-coding system where the bar code scanner scans the 14 digit number present both in letters and numbers. RFID system is based on the RFID tags and scanner; they work through electromagnetic fields that automatically identify and track tag attached to objects.
Objectives of Library Automation
- Avoid duplication of work
- To improve control over collection
- To improve the existing services
- To have effective control
- To maintain bibliographical records of all the materials
- To share the resources through library networking
- To provide access to information at a faster rate
In the Library automation system, computer and other semi-automatic devices are used to automate the database. Computers play an important role in library automation system, like:
- Speedy processing of information and its retrieval
- Standardization of library procedures
- Flexibility in information search
- Participating in network programmers and resource sharing
The need for library automation systems is increasing day by day with an increase in demand in schools, colleges, universities and at many more places. Here we will discuss the need for library software.
- Increased operational efficiencies of the library staff.
- Improve the quality, speed, and effectiveness of services.
- Facilitate wider access to information for their clients.
- Improve the management of their physical and financial resources.
- Enable participating libraries to resource sharing activities.
The common areas of library automation are:
- Acquisition: It automates the acquisition process, ordering, receiving, return and cancellation of materials.
- Cataloging: It includes the creation, storage, retrieval and management of bibliographic records.
- Circulation: It handles circulation of the material like return, renewal, etc.
Automation also facilitates the generation of a number of reports for better decision making in the effective management of the library. It is highly beneficial for keeping track of the database in the library. The advantages of Library Automation System are:
- Easier Access to system
- It improves Cataloguing
- Systemized data collections
- Customer Service
- Reduce staff load
- Increase the productivity
- Advancement of technology
Also Read Know:
- What Are the Top Functions of the Digital Library Software
- RFID based Library Management System
- How Library Automation Software Works in the Library
- Best Library Management Software
- What is Library Management Software?
- What Is Online Library Management System
- School Library Management System
- Digital Library Management Software
- Library Management System
- Library Automation System